Author Topic: How To Catch Tigers?  (Read 25675 times)

Offline lebaka

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 66
  • i break bills
Re: How To Catch Tigers?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 08:36:13 AM »
wow dodge  :+ cred: thats the ua spirit
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 366
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 08:58:07 AM »
WK check your gmail for two docs on Tigers
Will do Ziggy thanks.

Offline gavin erwin

• Cred: 76
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 09:15:54 AM »
Wow thanks for all the info Dodge  :+ cred: . I will be joining WK to Jozini so I am soaking up all this info, great stuff guys!!!
Reach for a bream!

Offline j.s.smith

• Johny Peters
  • Cred: 6
  • For the love of fishing.
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »
Hi WK I see you got a lot of replies here is my 2c as well.I do not have experience at Jozini but the company I work for have a big project up in Tete Mozambique so I fished Cahora Basa and the Zambeze extensively for tigers and tilapia this was my passtime over weekends (nothing else to do up there) so I hope this will help;
Firstly use the right rods I learned this lesson the hard way (broke 2 of my favourite bass rods).
You want a rod that have a lot of backbone but it must have a soft tip to give your spoon a lively action.
You should have 2 rods I use a Shimano Nexave 7' like the one you have whith 15lb braid to catch the smaller tigers for fillets.
My main rod is a Shimano special tiger 7' (u can use it to catch kingfish if you like awesome rod period).
I only use braid this gives the best hookup as most tigers are lost during the initial take. Rather use a good quality 20lb braid (I use 20lb Power Pro) than use a poor quality 30lb as this gives you more casting distance.
I do not use a mono leader but use a natural colour braid such as power pro with a very short 30lb multistrand wire leader in a dark colour(8cm).
Make your own traces with 2 80lb Centro stainless powerswivels and flemish eye knot and atach a 45lb Boones snap to one of the swivels.(I have yet to experience one of the Boons quick snaps to open up I use it for spinning in the sea as well.)
Here is the real secret use 18g Effzett spoons in silver or copper if the water is dark, up the splitrings and use a 4/0 eagle claw J hook these hooks are super sharp, strong and penetrates easyer because it have a thinner guage than the normal mustad kendal round whitch needs sharpening anyway.For some reason the tigers just swallow this settup a little deeper than any other artificial and this will get you a hookup rate of up to 8/10 believe me.
In my experience we caught tigers right through the day with early mornings and late afternoons being exeptional off coarse but the smaller tigers stays active throughout the day just go back to the banks of the dam/river and look for stucture.
If there is a sudden wind outburst any time of day go out this when you will catch the big tigers they hunt in that conditions.

Early birds catches the most worms. Early worms catches the most fish.

Offline WalkersKiller

• Ultimate Champ
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 08:36:05 AM »
Wow thats amazing info thanks so much!

Offline j.s.smith

• Johny Peters
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »
Thanks WK I forgot to mention we used tiny spinners size 1 or 2 (black fury with the stickers removed from the blades to make it as bright as possible) the small tigers can not leave this alone and this is endless fun you just need to locate the school they do not spook as easily as the big tigers and hooking a 500g tiger feels like a 2kg bass on steroids with light tackle.

Offline WalkersKiller

• Ultimate Champ
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 07:40:57 AM »
Awesome!!!  :tkx:

Offline Homie

• Retired
  • Cred: 0
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 07:46:01 AM »
Awesome info here !
 :+ cred: guys

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 55
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 08:44:59 AM »
Hi WK i've fished Pongola quite often over the years and have done a number of trips up to the Zambezi. This is the kit i usually use, 2 piece Daiwa excellor's (7ft), St Croix tidemaster rod (Nice 3 piece travel rod) the reels i use for   tigers are 4000 shimano spheros and sustain 5000 one loaded with 30 lb Viper braid and the other   with 15lb berkley big game monofilament. In addition to this i take a spare   spools just in case i pick up a barbel and get spooled . 
Lures i use are  Shad raps, DT Flat series and X-Raps in natural colors browns, gold,   oranges, reds and whites and my favorites being the fire tigers. Size; 8cms and bigger. Take a mixture of deep and shallow runners (You'll be surpised how a lure bounced of the bottom gets you into big fish, the only problem is that you do tend to loose some lures), mepps   no3 black fury's which i replace with single hooks, 16g double bladed copper   and silver effzets. Since a trip i did with Garreth Coombes a few yrs back i now also fish with small jigs, and have caught my 3 PB's on jigs since then. You can contact Garreth to get hold of some of those jigs as i have never seen them sold in shops, Garreth Makes them himself i believe? These jigs you have to fish slowly and literally bounce them off the bottom. Dont use your rod tip to get the jigging action however work the reel to get the jig action. Imagine the jig boucing off the bottom, and each time it bounces it blows/puffs up a small piece of mud/sand. This is what i believe catches the tigers attention.
Hooks i use when fishing either with live bait or sardine are size3/0 and 4/0 mustad bleeding hooks and a   few vmc sport circles, long shanked shad hooks looks similiar to the bass hook (Must admit i have not really caught much fish with the circles however that could just be me using them incorrectly?). I also use good quality swivels (Ball Swivel forget the name now) and clips (The clips i use are the ones with the ball on the swivel as well and are not the same clips you find on the premade traces.) paired   with 40 lbs Malin piano wire to make up traces.
Pongola i usually take more rods with as we tend to use baits a bit more. Generally i will rig up 1 rod with a floating sardine (The rod with the 15lb mono as this rod often gets picked up by barbel and with structure down deep the mono seems to tangle less) , basically i put a small sliding barrel sinker on the main line stopped by a ball swivel, i then attach about 1m of 15lb mono as a leader and attach 15cm trace with shad/bass hook. I then tie off a rectangular piece of that white building foam onto the hook shank and attach a fillet or two of sardine over the building foam and use cotton to keep it all nice &tidy. You must make sure the sarding floats before casting. With this setup you can get your bait down deep and due to the building foam the bait suspends itself about 1m off the bottom. I sometimes also put on a full sardine with head off and simply cast him out and let him drift and eventually settle.
I then usually rig a few rods with  live bait with ballon/condom, for each rod i change the distance the livebait is suspended below the balloon so if i have 2 live baits out i will set one at 1m and the other at perhaps 2m below the surface. Whilst these rods are out i then usually spin with the lures i've mentioned above. Hope this makes sense firstly and secondly good luck and tight lines!

Offline WalkersKiller

• Ultimate Champ
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 09:27:24 AM »
Thanks so much, those are some great tips!

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »
For the plastics used on a wide gape bass hook the paddle tail lures work very well, a nice bit of action on the tail. The  :tgr: quite often bites short so you lose the tail of the plastic, so you need to get the hook size and plastic size right.

I have some plastics made by LGF, the grubs are very very good with a nice tail action, he is now making paddle tails; which if they are anything like the quality of his plastics that I have, will also be excellent
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline j.s.smith

• Johny Peters
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
 :tkx:  Mr Homie

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal