Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Using a Braid leader for Casting

Author Topic: Using a Braid leader for Casting  (Read 59800 times)

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 223
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2014, 08:43:56 PM »
Personally I have found the opposite, I have really enjoyed downscaling all my lines but using 50lb leaders. I have snapped 30lb a few times too. Though this may be due to casting technique (more arse than class :blush:)

Braids these days are so strong you can pull really hard on 20lb without busting off.

Having said this we definitely do not get the size fish you get in Saudi!

Offline GT

• Cred: 0
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 11:44:18 PM »
Hi Reefs

Thanks for another brilliant post

Just wondering, will your suggested  setup work with the microwave system ? I'm using the Sierra 330h paired with a Sustain 5000 loaded with 30lbs Jigman.  Still donating those expensive lures to the ocean.  duh

Offline Gerhard

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 75
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2014, 05:35:25 AM »
Hi Reefs

Just wondering, will your suggested  setup work with the microwave system ? I'm using the Sierra 330h paired with a Sustain 5000 loaded with 30lbs Jigman.  Still donating those expensive lures to the ocean.  duh

GT,

Is Jigman braid designed for casting or jigging?

Offline GT

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2014, 06:59:08 AM »
Hi Gerhard

Not really sure. Was advised by Barry Wareham to use it some time ago. I'm using a Siglon florocarbon leader attached with an Albright that Barry personally taught me. I'm throwing 1 to 2 ounce lures. Still breaking off !!! Very very frustrating when you trying to do everything by the book.

By the way, where do you fish in Saudi ?

Offline allsorts

• Cred: 9
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2014, 07:40:51 AM »
 I'm quite new to the shore spinning game so this thread has been helpful.  The mainline to FC shock set-up nearly cost me a yellowtail of the rocks so after that I changed to a stitched set-up - Gosen PE 2 looped to 40lb Whiplash. I found that stitching the Gosen wasn't hard with proper ou ballie specs.  I am not 100% sure about using a straight loop instead of a catspaw but a post I read on an overseas thread (think it was tuna popping) made the point that a doubled loop only has to be 50% efficient to work and with a catspaw there was more chance of a slip which could lead to a burn-off.  Anyway I don't pretend to have the experience to make a call but it is an interesting point.

Not wanting to name drop I happened to be fishing yesterday with Barry (unfortunately the yellowtail were thin on the ground) and he showed me 2 leader setups he is using which might be of interest.  He is currently experimenting with nanofil to see if using a full length braid leader will prolong nanofil's life.  Anyone who has used it shore based knows it frays very quickly with extended use.  Time will tell.  The other thing he showed me on his heavy outfit was PE4 FG'd to a rod + 1/2 length heavily-waxed  JGB braided leader material (100lb I think).  This was done particularly with yellowtail off the rocks in mind (Krantz etc) - I've never seen a braid to braid FG before. 

As a sidebar I got to handle the new heavy spinning rod he is testing (PE3-5, 2-4 oz) - it's impressive and he said it would easily pass the Cape Town Tail test - i.e.  to lift and swing a 10lb Tail onto the rocks. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:45:01 AM by allsorts »

Offline Gerhard

• Ultimate member
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2014, 07:58:10 AM »
Hi Gerhard

Not really sure. Was advised by Barry Wareham to use it some time ago. I'm using a Siglon florocarbon leader attached with an Albright that Barry personally taught me. I'm throwing 1 to 2 ounce lures. Still breaking off !!! Very very frustrating when you trying to do everything by the book.

By the way, where do you fish in Saudi ?

Mate,

Learn how to do an FG Knot for braid to nylon leader.

You will NOT look back.

Where are you breaking off when casting?

Leader or braid?

Did you do some research on Jigman braid before buying on Google?

I am fishing in the Persian Gulf and hopefully will be on a new project by end of 2015 fishing in the Red Sea on the Yemen border ...

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 766
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2014, 08:36:31 AM »
I'm quite new to the shore spinning game so this thread has been helpful.  The mainline to FC shock set-up nearly cost me a yellowtail of the rocks so after that I changed to a stitched set-up - Gosen PE 2 looped to 40lb Whiplash. I found that stitching the Gosen wasn't hard with proper ou ballie specs.  I am not 100% sure about using a straight loop instead of a catspaw but a post I read on an overseas thread (think it was tuna popping) made the point that a doubled loop only has to be 50% efficient to work and with a catspaw there was more chance of a slip which could lead to a burn-off.  Anyway I don't pretend to have the experience to make a call but it is an interesting point.

Not wanting to name drop I happened to be fishing yesterday with Barry (unfortunately the yellowtail were thin on the ground) and he showed me 2 leader setups he is using which might be of interest.  He is currently experimenting with nanofil to see if using a full length braid leader will prolong nanofil's life.  Anyone who has used it shore based knows it frays very quickly with extended use.  Time will tell.  The other thing he showed me on his heavy outfit was PE4 FG'd to a rod + 1/2 length heavily-waxed  JGB braided leader material (100lb I think).  This was done particularly with yellowtail off the rocks in mind (Krantz etc) - I've never seen a braid to braid FG before. 

As a sidebar I got to handle the new heavy spinning rod he is testing (PE3-5, 2-4 oz) - it's impressive and he said it would easily pass the Cape Town Tail test - i.e.  to lift and swing a 10lb Tail onto the rocks. 

:welc: Rolfe.

Great first post!  :+ cred: (Even though you've been a lurker for 3 years!  :hehe: )
This is the type of info us binnelanders thrive on! Thanks for sharing!

Offline allsorts

• Cred: 9
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2014, 09:53:14 AM »
Thanks Reef - glad to slightly ease the burden of those living more than 20 minutes from some pretty good shore-based spinning  w;k .  I'm more of a bass guy but since moving to the False Bay area the focus has shifted.  I had some pretty good seabass fishing when I lived in Ireland a few year ago and that got me hooked on SW spinning.  Here's some pics http://jimhendrick.typepad.com/bass-fisher/2009/10/daiwa-day-breaker-performs-at-day-break.html 

Offline carll

• Spin a Holic
  • Cred: 11
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2014, 09:55:42 AM »
Hi Reefs

Hi GT

I have the same set up as you, the only difference is that I use Gosen 25lbs. The Sierra makes use of MicroWave guides and the runner guides are too small to accommodate the the braid leader. The knots cause havoc in those small runner guides.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2014, 10:32:28 AM »
Hi Reefs

I have Microwave guides on my Amia and use the Braided leader on this setup. The knots, as you can see in the pic, are minute, barely wider than the diameter of the braid. I don't have any issues at all with this setup. But the Sierra might be different? Try it on the practice field casting some inexpensive sinkers and see if it works for you?

EDIT: After much use, I decided that those Microwave guides slow down the casting process dramatically by throttling the line too quickly. Got so frustrated one morning, that I took out my pliers and actually cut/tore/twisted the small micro guide right out!!

Offline carll

• Spin a Holic
  • Cred: 11
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »
Hi Reefs

I have Microwave guides on my Amia and use the Braided leader on this setup. The knots, as you can see in the pic, are minute, barely wider than the diameter of the braid. I don't have any issues at all with this setup. But the Sierra might be different? Try it on the practice field casting some inexpensive sinkers and see if it works for you?

The Sierra 300H make use of the new Nanolite MicoWave Guide System. Those runner guides are smaller than the Amia's runner

guides "EISCH jy het lees brille nodig om jou braid deur daai guides te kry"  :-( 

Offline GT

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »
Gerhard , Reefs and Carll. Thanks for all the responses. It's off to the playground
For me.

Gerhard , which version of the FG knot do you use ?  I saw quite a few on Youtube
Kindly post a link if possible. Barry told me he uses the FG as we'll. but  he also said " it's a very difficult knot" !!!

Offline Gerhard

• Ultimate member
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2014, 12:10:43 PM »
Gerhard , Reefs and Carll. Thanks for all the responses. It's off to the playground
For me.

Gerhard , which version of the FG knot do you use ?  I saw quite a few on Youtube
Kindly post a link if possible. Barry told me he uses the FG as we'll. but  he also said " it's a very difficult knot" !!!

GT,

I can not imagine why its a very difficult knot...

Its easy straight forward and super strong with a added bonus of being small...

This is how I do it

http://youtu.be/Rj9I4j0Jj9c

Do the wraps.
Make two half hitches and pull leader and braid hard the  make 5-6 more half hitches on the leader and then again 6 on the braid.

Do not melt the leader as on some videos!

I use this from 15lb braid upto 100lb braid...

Offline BAUMANNATOR

• Cred: 7
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
Hi all. I have experimented with a wide range of leaders. Your eye configuration on the rod has a very large influence on the config you choose. Too heavy a leader (diameter) and you get the leader slowing with the resistance and the light main line overtaking it and then eye-wrapping. Cross wind  also plays havoc if you go too heavy. The length of the leader also  increases the chance of eye-wrapping, keeping the leader knot off the spool greatly reduces the chance of wrapping. You can increase the length of the leader if it is lesser diameter and thus have it onto the spool, remembering that the 'knot' may increase the chances of taking loose loops with it, as well as scufffing the line on which it lays. The distance to the first 'gathering' eye and it design also impact on the length and diameter leader you can confidently use.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 02:56:56 PM by BAUMANNATOR »

Offline Seventenths

• Ultimate Legend
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2014, 04:57:39 PM »
Wow... this thread has given me plenty to consider - thanks to all the contributors/participants. Cred coming your way....

Offline GT

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2014, 10:48:02 PM »
Gerhard,

:tkx: a gazillion . After a few attempts I finally got the FG right. Amazingly super slim and equally strong. Definitely my go to knot for joining braid to leader from now on.

Im calling it My  :ult:  Knot !

:uarocks 

Offline Gerhard

• Ultimate member
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2015, 03:54:57 AM »
Gerhard,

:tkx: a gazillion . After a few attempts I finally got the FG right. Amazingly super slim and equally strong. Definitely my go to knot for joining braid to leader from now on.

Im calling it My  :ult:  Knot !

:uarocks

Great stuff!

Tight lines mate!

Offline Spud

• Cred: 4
  • Grumpy Old man
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2015, 10:31:26 AM »
First of all happy New year to ALL.
What happens when one uses 30 pd braid and 50pd braid as a leader using a Uni knot as a preferred knot as have been using this for the last 35 years on normal fishing line !!!
And that is connected a quick clip. To change lures.
Has any one tried that ???
My set up is 11 ft Aerocast rod with a 6000 Saragossa 30pd braid.

Don't fall in the shark tank 🔞🔞🔞

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2015, 12:31:14 PM »
Uni knot in Braid and the Spider Hitch in braid weaken the Braid by up to 40%, they are not recommended in braided lines - this has been proven over and over by Paulus and by Sportfishingmag.com.

Uni in Braid to Mono, it's slightly better.

Spud, you should be using Braid mainline, Braid leader, then a 1m Fluoro leader out the guides, to which you attach your clips/lures etc

Offline Moolla

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2015, 12:52:04 PM »
Hi Reefman

As indicated above, I also suspected the uni knot when tying braid to braid.

Is there a simple and quick knot (such as the uni) that you would recommend for tying:

Main line braid to leader braid-

Thereafter

leader braid to 1 metre flouro

I like to believe the less terminal tackle, the less chance of anything extra that could fail, when you on with a PB.

Moolla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal