Author Topic: How to target garrick in Durban Harbour  (Read 37689 times)

Offline Ziggy

• Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 182
  • Teeth that bite!
Re: How to target garrick in Durban Harbour
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 02:15:08 PM »
Bad luck Ziggy, but it sounds like you had great fun getting blanked. Which trace did you use?

I used a 50cm 20 flouro with a 1/0 bandit hook hooked through the top lip of the maasbanker - tied directly on to my braid - no sinker or swivel. the hook was maybe a bit small - and I should have used two hooks. My mate who was fishing with me (he is a top class ski fisherman) insisted that this was the way to go. He now agrees that two hooks would most probably have been better
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:15:57 PM by Ziggy »

Offline Ziggy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Teeth that bite!
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »
I also think we were pulling the baits too fast - I went as slow as my motor allowed before kicking inot neutral. So mI had to continually click in and out of gear to keep the speed down - next time I will take my sneaker motor - or see if I can set my motor to idle a little slower

Gregf

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2013, 03:41:22 PM »
Pop around to the shelter at about 12 tomorrow and I will show you how to tie those traces H12 S99

Offline Ziggy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Teeth that bite!
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »
Pop around to the shelter at about 12 tomorrow and I will show you how to tie those traces H12 S99

Thanks for the offer but I will be in PMB all day - and also scared I might catch that "banter" disease! :hehe:

Gregf

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »

Thanks for the offer but I will be in PMB all day - and also scared I might catch that "banter" disease! :hehe:

You must be ancient because those are seriously wise word sir  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Offline Ziggy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Teeth that bite!
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2013, 04:18:33 PM »

You must be ancient because those are seriously wise word sir  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

ancient but none-the-wiser for it

Offline Mrzipo

• Cred: 0
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 11:21:31 PM »
owzit ziggy have you tried again for the garrick?anyone know how long they stick around in the harbour for till which month???tx 

Offline Ziggy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Teeth that bite!
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2013, 07:59:11 AM »
owzit ziggy have you tried again for the garrick?anyone know how long they stick around in the harbour for till which month???tx

Tried again last week - but they seem to be gone now.....not sure what months they actually visit and hao long they stay

Offline Mrzipo

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
Howzit has anyone tried this season? all the angling reports suggest garrick are back in the bay

Offline MichaelK

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 51
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2015, 09:47:06 AM »
i chatted to an old salt down at Fynnlands angling club on Sunday, whilst the trips comp was on the go.

He recons 2 garrick came out on friday and a diver spearing around north pier reported seeing a whole shoal of them swimming into the harbour on saturday morning.

Offline Mrzipo

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2015, 12:46:22 PM »
Thanks MichaelK looks like gotta start trying for them :sreel:

Offline MichaelK

• Ultimate member
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2015, 12:45:54 PM »
Here is photo of the winning fish in last sundays Trips comp at Fynnlands angling club. Its a comp held in the harbour on a monthly basis.

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 137
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2015, 01:01:41 PM »
Why do they not have C&R comps? Don't get me wrong, those are good catches but it makes me a bit  <: when I see all the Garricks that are being killed.  duh

Offline Spieks

• Cred: 29
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »
Why do they not have C&R comps? Don't get me wrong, those are good catches but it makes me a bit  <: when I see all the Garricks that are being killed.  duh

Agree :win:

Offline MichaelK

• Ultimate member
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2015, 01:15:45 PM »
Don't crucify the messenger, SAfish the garrick are so rarely caught within the Durban harbour.

I agree with you that these fish should be released to conserve our fish stock.

The anglers are however within the law though, until the regs change

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 137
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2015, 01:25:41 PM »
Don't crucify the messenger, SAfish the garrick are so rarely caught within the Durban harbour.

I agree with you that these fish should be released to conserve our fish stock.

The anglers are however within the law though, until the regs change
Don't get me wrong, I did not take a swipe at you. I know the anglers are within their bag limits but I stated how I feel about competitions that are not C&R orientated. Garrick stocks are under a lot of pressure as they get slaughtered along our entire coast. I just think it should be a club's priority to promote C&R in their competitions, especially when a large number of members take part. My 2c.

Offline imz

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2017, 10:30:10 AM »
hi all

does anyone still try for Garrick in the Durban harbour and has any come out there this year?
 :grk:

Offline MichaelK

• Ultimate member
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2017, 02:05:48 PM »
They have been coming out but not regularly and they seem to be on the small side.

Offline Ziggy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Teeth that bite!
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2017, 03:19:50 PM »
was out on friday - three boats pulling live bait (old garrick master Colin was one one of them)- no-one had any luck. I was unable to find and catch any maasbanker - So I failed totally!

Offline Visenvryheid

• Cred: 30
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2017, 09:40:51 AM »
Please release the fish up north, just to reiterate!

I cannot stress enough how severe the pressure is that adult garrick stocks are under, the changes in the regulations have not reflected that at all?! I target them in eastern and southern cape in the main summers stock basins. The ones you see inshore are the majority of the stock, we do no see them offshore at all unless they are on a migration, although we see their choms offshore that they shoal inshore with, this tells me that what we see in close, is what we get unlike for example tuna and tail where there are extensive offshore stocks. There were no sardine runs for 4 or more years and we had season after season down south in summer with epic fish, numbers and sizes got bigger year on year and the stock was looking like it was making a recovery, I averaged 30-40 leeries in the 5-15kg range for at least 3 seasons, all were released except one smaller injured fish. We would cast at the same shoals all summer, they would just move around and we'd follow them on land or boat, our skipper knows them like the back of his hand and had a handle on where they were on any given day..

Then two years ago there was a sardine run and we warned the guys up north to look after the fish as the stocks were just recovering, but still a mere percent of unfished levels. I fear they got hammered. We never saw our shoals return last summer at all. Then there was another run of sardines up the coast last winter..I fear the worst. It is like one of our summer gamefish has just gone? The only leeries I have caught in a year and a half have been a few guys the size of my hand in my thrownet. I saw two or three in total last season, all under 5kg, that from a normal hundreds of 5kg+ fish we'd see in a season. Something is seriously wrong. Anyway to flog a dead horse, guys and gals, we need to come together to start protecting the garrick..I fish with guys that fished them in the old days before they were targeted, decades ago and the returning shoals were 10-20km long in those days they tell me, it would take more than half an hour for the shoal to file past you. So when the scientists said a few years ago that the level of stock was only a percent or two of unfished levels, I'd tend to believe them.

Please catch the garrick for sport and return em to make more..
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:54:26 AM by Visenvryheid »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal