Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Daiwa Sl30 - overwind mid cast

Author Topic: Daiwa Sl30 - overwind mid cast  (Read 325 times)

Offline Kiroleep

• Cred: 0
Daiwa Sl30 - overwind mid cast
« on: September 07, 2021, 02:46:50 PM »
Hi guys

I have a daiwa sl30 loaded with mono, paired with a loomis 10ft shockwave (blue/green)

What's happening is that mid-cast the reel suddenly overwinds. Once I release the spool the sinker travels as normal but at a certain point the reel just overwinds mid cast and I end up with a huge bunch up.

I tried different sinker sizes and still have the same result. The spool tensioner set at different tightness and it still overwinds mid cast.

Any ideas as to what is causing this ?

If it's any consolation I have been using multipliers for a while and when using my other multipliers I rarely get any overwinds with my casting.. so its safe to assume its just on this reel.

Any opinions/suggestions will be appreciated

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 14
Re: Daiwa Sl30 - overwind mid cast
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 07:29:45 PM »
Sinker is slowing down faster than spool is delivering line.
You say you have tiried other sinker sizes, what sizes specifically?

Outside of the above, techique is high on the list of suspects...

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 41
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 06:49:35 AM »
The best solution (for me) to this, is to have magnets fitted. Brandon (Fishatic) does this. I see you are down in KZN and unfortunately Brandon is here in JHB. Make a plan to get them done. Not sure if anyone in KZN does this
I have done both my multipliers (Daiwa SL50H and Saltiga 50). I can now cast with confidence that I am unlikely to get an overwind. However, things like casting into the wind can create the occasional issue. I now cast without looking at the spool at all, just watching the sinker only.
The magnets works like ABS braking for fishing reels. One would think that this would affect your casting distance, but the opposite is more likely to happen as you become more confident, and are willing to put more ooomph into your cast.
The magnets need slight adjusting to suit your casting style and strength (remove the side plate, and either move the magnets closer to, or further away from the center of the reel, depending on how much braking you want).
I recently bought a Grand Wave at an auction, and will take it to Brandon for magnets fitted, before it has it's 1st outing

Offline Reebok02

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 08:13:54 AM »
The easy answer is did you buy the reel new or secondhand?Either way is the brake blocks in?Also you get 2 different sizes maybe try the bigger size?

Offline PRENO

• Cred: 4
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 09:23:16 AM »
Hi

I had an SL30 and I did have a few overwinds when testing out.
I changed the following and it suited it reel better.
I used the reel on a 12ft 2/4oz rod with a min 4oz sinker.
I changed to a 30lb mono, with thickness around 0.35/0.4mm.
Made sure when spooling the line, it was as tight as possible and when reeling in, make sure it is spooled equally and tight.
The spool tension was set before each cast and a pre test was done by releasing the reel clicker/sinker from rod tip to the sand, too see if it was too loose or too tight.
Never had a problem after that.

let us know if you find the fault.

Family is happiness

Offline Zak-e-Boy

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 13
  • Everyday's a Holiday - Umhlanga
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 10:03:54 AM »
Kiro, good morning and  :welc: I would suggest that you firstly find a rod to match the reel, if it is your intention to persevere with the SL30.
A 12ft rod would be a good start. Secondly if you not too familiar with multiplier reels make sure that the reel still has the red or black brake blocks
in place, set your spool tensioner according to your sinker weight, a smooth but steady drop of your sinker to the ground from the tip of your rod is a good start. Next take your rod and reel to an open field and cast with a 3 or 4oz sinker for an hour or three until you get your rhythm right. The SL30 is one of the easiest reel to master.         

Offline Kiroleep

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 06:12:24 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.

Bought the reel new some time ago and never had issues until now.

Will definitely look at the magnets option.

The rod I paired it with is a 10ft rated 2-4 ounce. Started with 2 ounce right up to 6 just to see if sinker weight made any difference.

I also gave the setup to my dad and a friend to cast with, just to make sure it wasn't me just being a **   duh .. what we noticed is once it reaches around 25-30m it overwinds in that exact same spot.

Honestly never had any issues with this reel until now which is the confusing part

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 08:06:22 PM »
Just a thought , is a bearing possibly starting to fail and jerking then releasing the line , :dunno: :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline zaahidwp

• Cred: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 08:37:11 AM »
if it fails at the same place every time, it could be that your line is not wound on the spool tight enough at that point and is therefore wrapping over itself, try taking the line off your reel and respooling it making sure to keep a good tension on the line.

I had an sl30 paired with an exage 110h and never had a recurring problem like this, only the odd overwind when I was at the end of my fishing day and tired

Offline PRENO

• Cred: 4
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 08:56:42 AM »
if it fails at the same place every time, it could be that your line is not wound on the spool tight enough at that point and is therefore wrapping over itself, try taking the line off your reel and respooling it making sure to keep a good tension on the line.

This could be the problem, also not sure if the 10ft rod is well suited for the SL30.
Where are you based, if I may ask?
Family is happiness

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 765
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 09:12:01 AM »
The first thing I would do is test the Cast control knob - wind it down tight and disengage the spool cast lever, this should make the spool have resistance when pulling line off the spool. If it doesn't then the washer/spacer inside the Cast control knob is worn or missing, setting the stage for uncontrollable spin. (It's a brass washer that fits inside the Cast control knob.)

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=35.0

#TheGreatAwakening

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 08:53:10 PM »
Kiro,
From the factory, SL's normally do not have the centrifigal brake blocks fitted..
Put two in, start with the heavy ones. Using blocks/brakes does not mean you cannot cast.

Your reel is feeding line faster than the sinker.
Technique again - a shorter rod (10') makes many anglers snatch at  casts ie a snapping motion, particularly if you have been using a fixed spool and move back to a multi.

Multipliers don't like snap casts. Ever.

Try to keep the rod away from your body with straight arms as if you are giving the rod to someone standing in front of you.

Try very hard NOT to push with your right hand and concentrate on pulling with the left. Slower deliberate motion with acceleration at the end.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 08:56:16 PM by fishatic »

Offline Grumpy

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 07:15:02 PM »
Nuh, we don't use magnets, we can cast!

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 08:50:00 AM »
LOL. I double dare you to cast one of my field reels without magnets. 

Cast would last around 0.12 seconds

AKA Instant breakoff

Offline Zak-e-Boy

• Ultimate member
  • Everyday's a Holiday - Umhlanga
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 09:26:40 AM »
Kiro, this might be a crazy suggestion, you have mentioned that the problem always happens at the same distance when you cast, have you checked to see if you don't perhaps have a "loop" in the line from a previous overwind ? 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal