Author Topic: Rod for cob- Clone lures & 3 ounce lures  (Read 737 times)

Offline JacquesdW

• Cred: 0
Rod for cob- Clone lures & 3 ounce lures
« on: January 12, 2024, 07:40:10 PM »
Hi! I am looking for a mid range 11ft rod to throw 3 ounce Clone lures, 2 to 3 ounce spoons, 6" paddletails etc. The Loomis Archipelago seems to be the front runner but I don't know if the normal (H?) or the XH would be best? Also would a 5000 or 6000 Shimano reel fit both?
I'm currently using a Major Craft Skyroad Plugging 10' rod designed for yellowtail but I am having to load the rod too much for the distance. I used to own a Palms Shoregun 103XH which was damn near perfect except I stupidly sold it.

Offline Poenskop

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 35
Re: Rod for cob- Clone lures & 3 ounce lures
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 08:54:52 AM »
I broke my Palms being stupid. Do you want to replace it? Share shipping again? :hnthnt:

Offline JacquesdW

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 07:11:46 AM »
It was you!? Long time! I'm now living in the US so I can get it whipped there cheaply. But kinda looking at US NE coast/ striper style rods. I like their more moderate action.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 07:15:32 AM by JacquesdW »

Offline RiaanJP

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 01:19:55 PM »
I would recommend the Assasin Amia 11ft XH or XXH. I use a Assasin 11ft XH with a Shimano Saragosa 6000 and works wonders. I do however throw max 3 ounce jigheads, but prefer 2 ounce.

Offline Poenskop

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 35
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 09:46:37 AM »
It was you!? Long time! I'm now living in the US so I can get it whipped there cheaply. But kinda looking at US NE coast/ striper style rods. I like their more moderate action.

Yes it was me. That Palms was one of the best rods I have ever owned. I would check the Blackhole rods out. They are easy to get hold of in the US. My mate is fishing with the Cape Cod Surf Special Light. Nice parabolic action. I would also look at the Cape Cod Striped bass Special. The 11'' 1-6 or 3/4-4 oz is what I am looking at. It is not that easy to source them from PE.

Offline JacquesdW

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 04:30:54 PM »
How are you doing? I'm wondering how the US style long butt would work with our surf. I know they like to clamp the butt between their legs but that sounds like your reel would be dunked a lot. I like the more parabolic action as throwing spoons and Clones is more cranking than twitching. Decisions....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 04:32:21 PM by JacquesdW »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal