Author
Topic: GT Lures - DIY  (Read 1648 times)

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 78
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
Re: GT Lures - DIY
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 10:24:39 pm »
 :happ:  VERY VERY Good looking, did that some years ago and never got around to testing them, wanted to give the ones I made to someone but never knew if people would use them. Saw them in the WeaselWorx the other day when I was looking for something, also found some smaller Bass lures including a red-breasted finch imitation I made for the quarry in Henley!

I used a battery (converted to use a power supply) camping "spit-braai" rotisserie motor some bearings and stainless wires to cure the resin I used on the last couple I made! Love yours doing more than 1 at a time!!!!

Now lemme know when you take the next step in mold making :hyst:  yes it tends to go that way :rotfl  will gladly assist!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:25:17 pm by LGF »
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper, and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 219
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 07:54:40 am »
Henk you did give those lures to someone ..... Just not someone very good at catching fish with them :blush:

Dewald don't forget to take a couple of lighter lures too such as the Williamson or Halco poppers. The big wooden lures are great but for those of us a bit out of shape it can be hardwork throwing and working those big lures for the day

Offline Dewald Posthumus

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 8
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 07:59:00 am »
Thanks HP,

I have a whole range of weights, from 120g to 170g. Will post some stickbaits I made tonight as well - they are 120g, lekker weight to work with.

Online Grumpy

• Cred: 0
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 08:55:16 am »
How's the pricing on those Carpenter lures? :flck: :flck:

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 42
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 09:26:27 am »
Lekker... Thanks bud. Was youtubing briefly yesterday and I see there's quite a few vids on turners. Yours looks similar to Solar's. All seems very effective.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Dewald Posthumus

• Ultimate member
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 10:00:58 am »
LGF - between making my own beer, bacon, lures (priorities!), I'm running out of space in the house. Have a home built smoker in the garage, a brewery in the laundry and a lure building station in the soon to be 'kids play area', once Daddy is done with his toys...chances of going into resin casting lures is really slim..
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:30:51 am by Dewald Posthumus »

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 78
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 07:13:17 pm »
 :rotfl  That's what you're saying now, can't tell you how many times I have redesigned the workspaces in and around the house. Lure making is a different animal, you'll end up trying all the principles. I started with silicone molds, then tied flies, then made wooden poppers (HP forgot I gave you those poppers,  :hyst: ) then made top water bass lures, the massive swimbaits from fiber-glass molds I made, then I built a CNC machine to cut all molds, now even looking at making hollow-bodied soft plastic and resin molds!!! It never stops, been toiling with ideas of 3D printing too, at least the blanks and then making silicone molds! :happ:
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper, and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline super_daav

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 74
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 02:29:41 pm »
Have a home built smoker in the garage, a brewery in the laundry.....

Would love to see some pics of these 2 setups! I do the curing bacon thing but haven't gotten around to smoker yet which is next step....

As for beer might as well make my own rather than pay SAB... PS sorry about hijack...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:30:04 pm by super_daav »

Offline Dewald Posthumus

• Ultimate member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 03:01:05 pm »
The brewery is a simple setup,

HLT/ Boiler made from cut open stainless steel keg, mash tun from a coolerbox and copper manifold, and then I use food grade plastic buckets as fermenters - nothing fancy. Have a mango/habanero IPA in there now ready to rack to a secondary fermenter on Sunday, adding some more mango puree and habanero and letting it ferment out all the sugars for another two weeks. Then I have to wait another two weeks for carbonation and probably 4 more weeks for proper bottle conditioning. It's a loooong process! I try to brew every two weeks or so - production vs consumption is a bit lob-sided!

The smoker on the other had is a reverse flow smoker made from a 210liter food grade honey drum and other paraphernalia, will take some photo's tonight and share. You can easily smoke in your Weber as well, you will just be limited to the amount of meat/ bacon you can smoke.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:02:12 pm by Dewald Posthumus »

Offline stickleback

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 07:04:23 pm »
Hi Dewald

Great looking poppers looks like they should do the trick! - couple of questions if I may ?-
What kind of swivel did you use for the belly hook attachment (barrel/crane/ball bearing/power)? & what are you using as a nose grommet, did you get it locally?  Good luck with the stick bait build!

"a true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers,but borrowed from his children"-Audubon

Offline Dewald Posthumus

• Ultimate member
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 11:04:33 am »
Hi Stickleback,

Only saw your questions now.

Swivels - I used 1/0 Crane swivels from Centro, 510lb breaking strain.

Nose grommets are quite easy to use, for smaller applications I use pop rivets, in 4.8mm. For these larger lures I used 5.5mm rivnuts.

P.S I have made stickbaits with leftover wood - they are the one's on the right.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:14:20 am by Dewald Posthumus »

Offline stickleback

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 06:10:07 pm »
VERY NICE!

How many lures are you planning on taking?
"a true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers,but borrowed from his children"-Audubon

Offline Dewald Posthumus

• Ultimate member
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 08:25:47 am »
We are six guys on the boat, and I have made around 40 lures, will distribute them among the guys on the boat. So that's plenty!  :hehe:

Offline John F

• Cred: 512
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 08:47:24 am »
We are six guys on the boat, and I have made around 40 lures, will distribute them among the guys on the boat. So that's plenty!  :hehe:

Not if you bump into a bunch of couta or barracuda, which isn't necessarily a bad thing :hehe:

These will definitely work! Well done!

Can't wait for the report. 

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013