Author
Topic: Keurbooms river  (Read 1837 times)

Offline gareth88

• Cred: 1
Keurbooms river
« on: March 14, 2016, 02:38:38 pm »

Hi Guys,

I've been invited up to the keurbooms for a family reunion over the easter weekend.

We will be staying in a house (part of a complex) which is apparently just to the mouth side of the caravan park and has a long lawn that goes right to the edge of the river. I haven't been to the keurbooms for 18-20 years and in those days my fishing was as technical as pumping a couple prawns and hoping like hell that a grunter would swim past. Since then I've become an avid lure and fly fisherman on the Breede and was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Keurbooms and if there are any areas near where I'll be staying which would allow me to target leeries, kob or grunter on artificials? Alternatively, would going back to basics and casting a prawn out be my best bet?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Offline Searaider

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 37
Re: Keurbooms river
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:17:31 pm »
Gareth try fishing with sardines instead of prawns.
I'm not sure what lures to use because I use too fly fish there.
Visit some of the tackle shops in Plett they are a wealth of info

Try fishing around the Island (I think it is called Lud's island)

Tight lines

Offline icstuff

• The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 77
  • It's the Water's fault!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:36:06 pm »
try by the N2 bridge and where the bitou and keurbooms come together. best will be to use a boat to cover a greater area. Have fun and take clousers, flippers and poppers.
Squid Happens!

Offline RobinF

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 85
  • We release everything.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 07:02:25 am »
The river is very shallow as always. You can catch decent fish in the river, but it is no longer what it was 18-20yrs ago...but then what river is? Stick to the basics, a circle hook with a prawn off that bank you mentioned is a good option. It will allow you access to a broader spectrum of fish. Going into any tackle shop will see them selling you lots of different lures. My suggestion is that as ICStuff said, go to the local places and ask what fish and where. But from a lure perspective, always carry a spoon, a predator plug, and any 2 - 5 other basic surface poppers. (Consider changing the treble hooks to singles) I am assuming that you won't have a boat, so keep changing the lures to see if any of them get action. Because fish are not that plentiful, the trend at the Keurbooms is keep everything. Please don't succumb to that caveman mentality.

Fishing from that spot you mentioned is great for sunsets and chilling, except you will be fishing in or very near to the boat channel.....thus, fish early mornings and late evenings into night when the traffic dies down. Don't expect consideration from the boats, so be prepared to reel in when they approach.

If fishing at night, put out a pichard that you sliced down the middle and turned inside out. Stomach on the outside. Cotton it up and see what happens.

Offline gareth88

• Cred: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 09:43:10 am »
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the feedback, it's very much appreciated.

I won't have access to a boat, so unless I hear of any spots in walking distance I will be fishing off the bank into the boat channel as RobinF predicted.

I think I'll try with the tried and tested prawns and plugs during the day and possible sardine and paddletails in the evenings. It will actually be a treat to do a spot of night fishing, as this has been banned at my usual hangout (the breede river).

Oh and just to calm any concerns for RobinF and any others out there, I don't general keep any fish that I catch. I used to keep a couple for the braai, but since I've got into artificial lure fishing I get just as much of a rush seeing the fish swim off after a quick pic. It's a bit off topic, but I'm also in the process of trying to get a tagging kit from ori... So I promise I'm the last one who will contribute to raping the river.

Offline RobinF

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 85
  • We release everything.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:46:47 am »
Oh and just to calm any concerns for RobinF and any others out there, I don't general keep any fish that I catch. I used to keep a couple for the braai, but since I've got into artificial lure fishing I get just as much of a rush seeing the fish swim off after a quick pic. It's a bit off topic, but I'm also in the process of trying to get a tagging kit from ori... So I promise I'm the last one who will contribute to raping the river.

:+ cred: Well said.