Author
Topic: light braids  (Read 1766 times)

Offline xtc

• Cred: 13
light braids
« on: June 21, 2015, 05:31:39 pm »
Hi guys

Anyone used or heard much about the new 12 strand braided lines? think previously only available in Japan

Then gliss - anyone using it locally - haven't followed the forums much lately on it but last I read the reviews weren't that positive -suspect it may be better for ultra light lures than for eg the 20g lure class - but again opinion based on previous reading as have not used it

Then anyone know where in SA good quality 4 and 6 pound braid can be purchased or must still one order in from overseas

Thanks

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
Re: light braids
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 05:35:51 pm »
Hi xtc, heard great things about gliss, never used it personally but know that the guys from halco have used it effectively for spinning and jigging, landing big fish in the process. I want to try it out soon.

I have seen a lot of tackle shops in GP have been stocking 4lb nanofil, I love it and its awesome quality. Every now and then you can pick up spools of 6lb rovex viros as well, used the 8lb, 10lb and 20lb and never had any issues except colour fading on the line.

Offline Dewald Posthumus

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 08:13:59 am »
Agree WK,
Nanofil is the way to go if you want to fish light lures. I've been fishing with 8lb for a couple of years now and can only say great things about it. Biggest fish landed was a 8kg grass carp in the rapids on the Vaal River.

Offline xtc

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 11:17:12 am »
Thanks guys for the input

Interested to hear guys enjoying nanofil - I had really bad experiences that seemed to be echoed by many users overseas (going by the some of the forums) - I was disappointed at the time as it cast well - not confident enough to try it again for lures in the 1/4 to 1 ounce range but possibly its worth a try for the 2 - 5 gram lures

Iv had no issues with suffix 832, rovex, varivas, ygk - just struggling to find the first two locally in the 4-6 pound range

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 11:31:05 am »
XTC I was very apprehensive about buying nano for the same reason, had heard too many bad things about it. Gavin Erwin and Sean Bisset finally convinced me to buy it and besides 832 and rovex viros, I wont use any other braid ever again... Hardly any wind knots, amazing knot strength and very little abrasion. I use a uni to uni (So do the others) and we have caught fish on 4lb up to 30 lb (Reef fish, game fish, Kob, 15kg+ Barbel and the list goes on).

Bu then again I remember back in the day I had a problem with a spool KFGA, even though I had used it for years I never bought another spool again and even won a spool which I gave away. So I know what you mean  :-)

Offline Fishersteve

• Cred: 14
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 08:31:58 pm »
Curt if you want - I can bring a spool of viros 6lb over.

Offline xtc

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 09:37:19 pm »
Hey hi Steve - thanks - appreciated, will help a lot - will give you a shout -

Offline Fishersteve

• Cred: 14
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 10:01:13 pm »
Hey hi Steve - thanks - appreciated, will help a lot - will give you a shout -

No probs