Author
Topic: Paddeltails and Kob  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Jordz

• Fishing for men and fish...
  • Cred: 9
  • I hear the fish calling my name,
Paddeltails and Kob
« on: January 07, 2015, 12:15:11 pm »
It is well known that throwing paddel tails fro kob has become extremly popular... the question is what have you fellow ultimaters found to be the best colour paddel tails and set ups that have worked for you.
I am unashamed of the one that came down from Heaven, took my place on the cross and died for the forgiveness of my sins, Jesus Christ you rock...

Offline Donz

• Cred: 1
Re: Paddeltails and Kob
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 12:40:42 pm »
red mullet is the go to color for me, caught some nice specimens with it

Online pieta

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 21
  • Fishing for the fun of it
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 06:18:59 pm »
On my resond trip down to gamtoos I found four colours to be very producing. Olive divider,  white pearl, baby elf and olive and pearl. These four colours produced many fish. We also tried the orcas and the pink and pearl. Only got two kobies on the pink and pearl and nothing on the orcas. The baby elf is also a blue green with pearl belly. Most of the time the kob grabs the lure from the bottom as it fell in to the gutter. For me my best colour olive divider, then baby elf and then white pearl. Haven't had mutch time with the olive and pearl but think it will be my number four or even higher ranked when fished a bit more.

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 77
  • dis lekker by die see...
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:02:39 am »
On my resond trip down to gamtoos I found four colours to be very producing. Olive divider,  white pearl, baby elf and olive and pearl. These four colours produced many fish. We also tried the orcas and the pink and pearl. Only got two kobies on the pink and pearl and nothing on the orcas. The baby elf is also a blue green with pearl belly. Most of the time the kob grabs the lure from the bottom as it fell in to the gutter. For me my best colour olive divider, then baby elf and then white pearl. Haven't had mutch time with the olive and pearl but think it will be my number four or even higher ranked when fished a bit more.
so where is the report... (bat :hehe: and pics... :clwn these Mosselbay tackleshops better have those... :dunno: :blush:
Always be humble...

Online pieta

• Ultimate member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 05:49:09 am »
It was our first holiday with the little one.  I fished most of the time alone so there is not mutch to show. I only have two piks, one of me with a leerie and one of my cuson with his pb on dropshot, a kobbie. I am not a big reporter.

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 120
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 07:08:49 am »
Its not as much about colour , but more about presenting your lure properly . Most colours will produce fish but on some day they will eat a specific colour more than other , just like Pieta said , he has not been lucky with the orca , but I have been . best to get yourself 5 packs all different colours . and 3 diffrentsizes jig heads , your good to go .

But White or pearl white is a winner also the olive over white ! OLIVE OVER WHITE .

I recall a while back you could not find the Goldfish colour in Mc A . They were hot stuff even in CPT the guys bought them up quickly .

I have not had much luck with the Goldfish , but with the Orca colour loads .... Theres another 'swim bait' to use the Bass guys words , that is a clown colour IE , red in the bek , with yellow dot on the side on a white paddle tail ,these are extremely worth to buy if you can get hold of them , they also have a fat tail , that creates loads of vibration . and have a round profile as to the others that has a fish type profile .

My preferences are White , again I will say its more about having the right jughead and presenting your offering properly for mr Kob .

Rule of thumb on overcast /dark days . on bright days /bright conditions use bright colours .
however this is only more of a guideline than a rule ...
very strange to tell you guys the at night , fish either white or black .

A while back I took advantage of LGF 's offer and he made some very very cool PT's for me in colours you can't buy . from those colours , the most successful colour was hands down  Chartreuse or like some will call it green .
I have yet to get a pull on the pink / and junebug colours .
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:38:10 am by Lenny »

Offline Jordz

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 08:07:09 am »
Thanks guy, we went down to sandspit last night and we broken buy some big kobs on the paddeltails, think that there was an odd kingie in the mix as well. Hopefully tonight we will be able to land one and maybe even swim it for the big Zams that are around here at the moment.

Intrestingly they have been feeding better on the outgoing tide, i think that this is due to the mullet being washed down the river.
I am unashamed of the one that came down from Heaven, took my place on the cross and died for the forgiveness of my sins, Jesus Christ you rock...

Online pieta

• Ultimate member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 08:32:07 pm »
Lenny I agree with what you say. We had the same debate between the cusons, is it the colour, the shape or the movement that triggers the kob to strike. My first day arriving on Gamtoos we were four guys casting padeltails. Three out of the four casted baby elf. The colour that produced about all the fish the previes week. Not one pickup on the baby elf. I casted the white pearl. Third cast vas but only for about 4 minutes. Could not turn the fish. 5 casts later vas again got a baby of about 3kg.

the next day I started with the whitd pearl and the rest stayed with the baby elf. Two casts Burger went vas on a baby elf. After about 15 cast I changed to the olive and white. First cast on the same bank vas. Got picked up four times on the olive and white on the same spot. That day the baby elf deliverd 1 and the olive and white 4 fish. All young fish.

The next day 2 fish on pink and pearl. We were 6 guys. Tried every colour in the book till neels desided to go for the pink. Two casts two kobbies. The rest of us got nothing. The next few days the weather was terrible the water went cold. Till this day no one can say with a 100% surety that the fish go for thecolour or the movement. Some days they are not interested in plastics and rather take halcos. Other days the other way around.

Retrieval speed also makes a huge diffrence.  One day very slow on the bottom,  the next day just of the bottom and the very next day they wait for the lure to climb up against the gutter wall before they strike. Will we ever know the correct answer?

Offline carll

• Spin a Holic
  • Cred: 10
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 11:26:09 pm »
Great Post Pieta !

Online pieta

• Ultimate member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 05:14:57 am »
Thanks Carll. I think thats the reson we all are so crazy about fishing. Not one trip are the same as the previes one.

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 135
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 07:55:17 am »

Offline Jordz

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 08:40:23 am »
Thanks for the info Pieta, just a quick update, we went last night to sandspit and the white and the pearl produced the best results, again on the outgoing tide. Unfortnatly there was a group of fishermen that were also fishing for kob but with bait and were keeping anything and everything that they caught. I must be honest it made my blood boil, and when confronting them we were threatened, and some people wonder why there are fewer and fewer fish around.

Offline Wave Garrick

• The Ultimate live bait catcher
  • Cred: 6
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 12:05:19 pm »
Hi everyone,
been such a long time since I have last been online, been tangled up in studying and exams :dunno: sry
I have found this topic extremely helpful, only on  :ult: is there such great info  :uarocks
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:46:25 am by Wave Garrick »
One life,live it ....wet a line.